Fall 2017/Fuller Online
NT500: NEW TESTAMENT INTRODUCTION (KOREAN) (4 Units: 160 hours). Wong Gil Shin.
DESCRIPTION: New Testament Introduction orients students to the literature of the New Testament in its various literary, historical, and theological contexts and to New Testament interpretation in service of Christian practice.
LEARNING OUTCOMES: Having successfully completed this course students will have demonstrated that they (1) have an introductory knowledge of the literature, history, and theology of the New Testament; (2) can identify a range of questions (e.g., historical, literary, canonical) that might be addressed to particular New Testament texts and can explore those questions in the process of interpreting particular New Testament texts; (3) are able to take into account the varied contexts of both the biblical materials and their contemporary interpreters; and (4) can read the New Testament in ways that foster faithful Christian practice.
COURSE FORMAT: This course will be conducted online on a ten-week schedule aligned with Fuller’s academic calendar for a total of 40 instructional hours. Students are required to interact with the material, with each other, and with the instructor regularly through online discussions, reading, and other assignments that promote active learning.
REQUIRED READING: 820 pages of books and articles required, plus reading the entire NT.
The entire NT in Korean (using the Korean Revised Version or New Korean Standard Bible) or in English (either the CEB, NRSV, or TNIV)
DeSilva, David. Korean translation of An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods & Ministry Formation. CLC, 2013. ISBN: 978-8934113386, Pub. Price 50,000 Won [300 pp. assigned].
Longenecker, Bruce W. Korean translation of The Lost Letters of Pergamum: A Story from the New Testament. Boginneun Saram, 2012. ISBN: 978-8963600857, Pub. Price 13,800 Won [300 pp. assigned].
Reading selections on e-reserve [approx. 220 pp. assigned].
Bauckham, Richard. Korean translation of The Theology of the Book of Revelation. Handl, 2000. ISBN: 978-8983491329, Pub. Price 13,000 Won [approx. 60 pp. assigned].
Dunn, James D. G. Korean translation of The New Perspective on Paul. Ecclesia Books, 2012. ISBN: 978-8996381242, Pub. Price 10,000 Won [approx. 45 pp. assigned].
Fiorenza, Elisabeth S. Korean translation of “Neither Male nor Female: Galatians 3:28—Alternative Vision and Pauline Modification,” pp. 235-90 of Jae Sung Kim, ed. A Fresh Look at Paul. KTSI, 2000. ISBN: 978-8948702774, Pub. Price 17,000 Won [65 pp. assigned].
Horsley, Richard A. Korean translation of Jesus and Empire: The Kingdom of God and the New World Disorder. KICS, 2004. ISBN: 978-8987427544, Pub. Price 12,000 Won [approx. 50 pp. assigned].
ASSIGNMENTS AND ASSESSMENT:
1. Completion of weekly reading assignments, 820 pages total, plus reading the entire NT [80 hours, including 25 hours of reading the entire NT]. [This assignment is related to learning outcome #1-4].
- Completion of weekly instruction with video lectures [20 hours]. [This assignment is related to learning outcome #1-4].
- 250-word weekly forum posts (20%). [This assignment is related to learning outcome 2-4] [10 hours].
- 250-word weekly forum responses (15%). [This assignment is related to learning outcome 2-4] [10 hours].
5. Completion of three 3-page interpretive assignments on selected passages (30%). [This assignment is related to learning outcome #1-4]. [15 hours].
- Engaging in two online discussion sessions via video-conference with designated topics (5%). [This assignment is related to learning outcome #3-4]. [5 hours].
- Completion of one 10-page integrative research paper (30%). [This assignment is related to learning outcome #1-4]. [20 hours].
RELATIONSHIP TO CURRICULUM: Meets a core requirement in the 120 MDiv, 80 MAT, 80 MATM, and 80 MAICS Programs (Fall 2015) and the MATM, MAICS, and MACL Programs (Winter 2010).
FINAL EXAMINATION: No.