MM580/MM680/MK780: Foundation of Ministry for Emerging Generations in Korean Context (4 Units: 160 hours). Chap Clark & Jinna Jin
This course provides the foundational concepts and best practices to prepare the student for ministry to emerging generation in both a church and non-church setting in Korean context. The course will provide a basic understanding of adolescent development, contemporary culture, and historical and contextual models of youth ministry thinking and practice. The course is designed to help the student to think and respond theologically to the needs and expectations of the young and their families in a church or organization, and provides practical tools enabling the student to design a theologically sound ministry program for emerging generation suitable in any context.
Having successfully completed this course, students will have demonstrated the ability (1) to articulate an understanding of cultural trends that influence and affect adolescents and their families in Korean context; (2) to develop a comprehensive theology and philosophy of youth ministry that encourages a ministry praxis where God's adoption toward those who are in the midst of developmental transition can be experienced in a local church body; (3) to understand the different ministry needs of early, middle, and emerging adults; and (4) to create multi-generational relational programs and curriculum that enable evangelism and Christian nurture within a theologically driven framework of adoptive congregational community.
COURSE FORMAT: This class meets ______ for a total of 40 instructional hours in the classroom for lecture, class discussion, and group exercises.
- 정수복. 한국인의 문화적 문법 (Korean Cultural Grammar). 생각의 나무, 2007. ISBN: 978-8984987401.
Publisher’s Price 18,000 won.
- 엄예선. 한국 교회와 가정사역 (Korean church and Family
Ministry). 생명의 말씀사, 2007.
ISBN: 978-8904121304. Publisher’s Price 26,000 won.
- Groom, Thomas. 나눔의 교육과
목회 (Sharing Faith). 기독교대한감리회 홍보출판국, 1997. ISBN: 201-0031000045. Publisher’s Price 7,000 won.
- Clark, Chap and Powell, Kara. 청소년사역 어떻게 디자인 할
것인가 (Deep Ministry in a Shallow World). 성서유니온선교회, 2010. ISBN: 978-8932541068. Publisher’s Price 11,000
Course Reader [85 pp.] including:
- Clark, Chap. Hurt 2.0: Inside the World of Today’s Teenagers.
2nd ed. Baker Academic, 2011. ISBN: 978-0801039416, Publisher’s Price $19.99 [4-56pp].
Reading section will be translated into Korean
- Clark, Chap. Adoptive Youth Ministry: Integrating Emerging Generations into the Family of Faith. Baker Academic, ISBN: 978-0801049705. Publisher’s Price $25.40. [21-55pp] Reading section will be translated into Korean
- Devries, Mark 청소년사역 이젠
가정이다(Family-Based Youth Ministry) 성서유니온선교회,
2001. ISBN: 978-8932541037 Publisher’s Price:
- Yaconelli, Mike. B급 인생을 찾아오신 하나님
(Messy Spirituality). 아바서원, 2014. ISBN: 979-1185066202.
Publisher’s Price: 10,000 won.
- Osmer, Richard. 실천신학의 네
가지 중심과제 (Practical theology), WPA,
2012. ISBN: 978-8988675519. Publisher’s Price 18,000 won.
- Freire, Paulo. 페다고지 (Pedagogy of the Oppressed) 그린비, 2009.. ISBN: 978-8976827289. Publisher’s Price 13,900 won.
ASSIGNMENTS AND ASSESSMENT:
- 1,200 pages of required reading. [This assignment is related
to learning outcome #1,2].
- A reading log, including summaries and critical interaction
with each assigned reading (20%). [This assignment is related to learning
outcomes #1, 3].
- A 10 page participant-observation report of activities of
Korean emerging generation in local context (25%). [This assignment is related
to learning outcomes #1, 3].
- A reflection paper on emerging generation and family in
light of understanding of Korean culture and church (15%). [This assignment is
related to learning outcomes #1, 2].
Final essay – about 15 pages (MA), 20 pages (ThM), 30 pages (DMin). (40%). [This assignment is related to learning outcomes #2, 4].
FINAL EXAMINATION: None.