This course studies core Christian ethical vision, values, and convictions (telos, norms, and virtues) shaping Christian moral agency, decisions, and ecclesial practices in Korean contexts. Taking the doctrines of the Trinity and covenant as its theological foundation, the course discusses the methods of ethical decisions, authority of Scripture, formation of moral agency, norms of love and justice, together with the issues of economic, and ecological justice, sanctity of life, sexual faithfulness, violence and peacemaking with a special attention to Korean cultural contexts of Christian ministry today.
Having completed this course successfully, students will have demonstrated that they: (1) understand core Christian moral convictions, vision, values, virtues of Christian faith and their various expressions through the critical study of spiritual practices and operating theology and ethos in Korean Protestant churches; (2) have learned the basic skills of critical moral description, analysis, and ethical reasoning in Korean cultural contexts; (3) understand and can assess different ethical views and assumptions besides their own spiritual traditions and ethics; (4) have gained competence in teaching Christian ethics in Korean cultural contexts and in articulating their moral convictions in the public realm in conversations with others; and (5) have learned how to identify and apply core Christian vision, values, and virtues to major contemporary ethical issues discussed in Korean society.
This class meets once per week for three-hour sessions for a total of 35 hours of classroom instruction for lecture and discussion plus 5 hours of directed learning activities for a total of 40 instructional hours.
Total 1450 pages required.
- Lee, Hak Joon. 한국교회 패러다임을 바꿔야 산다: 변화와 갱신의 로드맵(A Paradigm Shift for Korean Protestant Church: A Roadmap for Change and Renewal) (in Korean., 새물결사, 2011. ISBN: 978-8994752051, Pub. Price W11,000 [230 pp]
- Kim, Seyoon. 칭의와 성화 (Justification and Sanctification) (in Korean., 두란노 2013, ISBN: 978-8953119628 03230, Pub. Price W13,000 [280 pp.].
- Mouw, Richard.문화와 일반 은총 하나님은 모든 아름다운 것 가운데 빛나신다 (He Shines in All That's Fair: Culture and Common Grace). 새물결플러스, 2012. ISBN: 978-8994752167, Pub. Price W8,500 [160 pp.].
- Stassen, Glen, and David Gushee. 하나님의 통치와 예수 따름의 윤리 (Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context). 대장간, 2011. ISBN: 978-8970712215, Pub. Price W30,000 [680 pp.].
Course Packet [100 pages]
- Cha, Jung Sik. 예수, 한국사회에 답하다. 새물결사, 2012. ISBN: 978-8994752150, Pub. Price W16,000 [400 pp.]
- Gorman, Michael. 삶으로 담아내는 십자가: 십자가 신학과 영성 (Cruciformity: Paul's Narrative Spirituality of the Cross). 새물결플러스, 2010. ISBN: 978-8996376101, Pub. Price W35,000 [680 pp.].
- Lee, Hak Joon. 다리를 놓는 사람들: 2세 교육을 위한 1세들의 사명(Bridge Builders). 두레미디어, 2006. ISBN: 978-8960282186, Pub. Price W5,000 [94 pp.].
- Migliore, Daniel. 기독교 조직신학 개론: 이해를 추구하는 신앙 (Faith Seeking Understanding: An Introduction to Christian Theology). 새물결플러스, 2012. ISBN: 978-8994752174, Pub. Price W30,000 [716 pp.].
- Min, Kyong Bae. 한국 기독교회사: 한국 민족교회 형성 과정 (Korean Church History: The Formation of a Nationalistic Ethos). 연세대학교 출판부, 2007. ISBN: 978-8971417720, Pub. Price W35,000 [687 pp.].
- Palmer, Parker. 삶이 내게 말을 걸어올 때Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation). 한문화, 2012. ISBN: 978-8956991382, Pub. Price W9,000 [324 pp.].
- Peters, Rebecca Todd. 좋은 세계화 나쁜 세계화 누구를 위한 발전인가 (In Search of the Good Life). 새물결플러스, 2012. ISBN: 978-8994752181, Pub. Price W18,000 [392 pp.].
- Van Gelder, Craig. 선교하는 교회 만들기 : 지역교회를 향한 도전 (The Essence of the Church). 베다니, 2003. ISBN: 978-8985680967, Pub. Price W18,000 [309 pp.].
ASSIGNMENTS AND ASSESSMENT
- 1450 pages of required reading [95 hours].
- Attendance and participation in discussions (10%). [40 hours].
- DLAs (quizzes/exams) [This assignment is related to learning outcome #1-4].
- One take-home essay exams on assigned texts and lectures (10%) [This assignment is related to learning outcome 1-4] [6 hours].
- Two half-hour in-class essay quizzes on assigned texts and lectures (30%). [This assignment is related to learning outcome # 1-4] [5 hours].
- A final term paper (50%). [This assignment is related to learning outcome # 1-5] [15 hours].
RELATIONSHIP TO CURRICULUM
Option to meet the C4 or TH5 requirement in the 120 MDiv Program. Meets ETH in the 144 MDiv Program. Meets MAT program requirement and Seminary Core Requirement (SCR) for other MA degrees (Winter 2010). Requirement in Christian Ethics emphasis and Just Peacemaking emphasis.